Families Trump in Inaugural Pilgrim Paddle Stand Up Paddling Races
By: Stand Up Fitness
Monday, 07 December 2009
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – , and two of the three division winners made the event a family affair. Bob and Betty Risner (husband and wife) won the co-ed division posting the best time of the day, with the father-and-son team of Michael and Chase Kosterlitz taking the men's race. Amy Murphy and Betty Risner won the women's race.
The competitors all completed a 1.25 mile circuit in the relay-style stand up paddleboard race. The start/finish line was on Spa Beach with the final leg of the circuit running parallel to the landmark St. Petersburg Pier.
Thirty-four paddlers of all skill levels took part in the event and were faced with a light chop on the bay waters as well as 10-15 mph winds and temperatures in the mid 50s.
“The conditions were not exactly what we had hoped for,” said Brody Welte, race organizer and proprietor of Stand Up Fitness. “But it proves the level of enthusiasm for this sport that we not only had more than 30 competitors, but a great crowd showed up as well.”
Stand Up Fitness, Inc. and Kahuna Kai Paddle & Surf Shop in Madeira Beach were the race operators. Both offer Stand Up Paddling (SUP) lessons, rentals and sales; Stand Up Fittness also offers personal fitness programs and “Boot Camps” on SUP boards around the Tampa Bay Area.
Partners and sponsors participating in the event included: St. Petersburg Pediatrics, Modus Photography, Updegraff Vision, Kialoa Canoe Paddles LLC, H20 Audio, Creative Counseling of St. Petersburg, Burrito Boarder, Compass Land & Title, Salon Vachon, Reno Beach Surf Shop, The Denson Firm, My Marketing Department, Outings & Adventures, YOLO Board LLC, Island Seafood Market & Bistro, Fox Massage Services and Loden & Fraze CPAs.
1) Chase & Michael Kosterlitz 44:32:00
2) Tim Harrington & Bob Risner 45:18:00
3) Tyler Heston & Kyle Kosterlitz 45:46:00
4) David & Kevin Fowles 57:47:00
5) Andre Surovikin & Russell Fox 1:03:50
6) Richard Hughes & Bill Morice 1:17:00
7) Allen Jernigan & Steve Seibert 1:18:56
1) Amy Murphy & Betsy Risner 53:06:00
2) Jessica Powell & Kim Hull 58:53:00
3) Kim Depasquale & Cheryl Baker 1:01:06
4) Devon Salter & Katherine Kleber 1:08:11
5) Tracy Graham & Kiley Mahaffey 1:08:53
1) Bob & Betsy Risner 40:37:00
2) Wendy & Jock McCain 46:59:00
3) Ben Moon & Lindsey Cross 47:06:00
4) Tyler Heston & Jackie Skakel 50:26:00
5) Kyle Kosterlitz & Jennifer Sullivan 54:35:00
Stand Up Fitness was created by Brody Welte, a long-time fitness and recreation enthusiast. Working in the industry for more than 10 years Welte has worked as a Personal Trainer, Recreation Leader and Adventure Guide. Stand Up Fitness was born from his passion for fitness and wellness and love of stand up paddle boarding. Stand Up Fitness and their retail store Kahuna Kai Paddle Surf and Beach Shop at 13224 Gulf Blvd., in Madeira Beach are the exclusive retailer for YOLO Boards in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area. For more information visit www.StandUpFitnessInc.com